Who is Sathiyan Gnanasekaran?
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran (born 8 January 1993) is an Indian table tennis player, currently ranked at 32 in the world as of April 2020. He was a member of the Indian team that took the bronze in the 2011 Junior World Championships.
In May 2019, Sathiyan attained his career-best World ranking of 24 and became the first Indian paddler ever to break into the World Top-25 ITTF rankings.
He became the first Indian paddler to sign a contract with Okayama Rivets for the Japanese T-league.
He is an employee of ONGC & currently being supported by the GoSports Foundation through the Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Programme and managed commercially by Baseline ventures.
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran Biography, Wiki
He began playing table tennis at age five at a neighborhood academy in Chennai, India, where a coach noticed his talent and encouraged him to enroll. He started competing at the state level at age seven, and the national level by age 12.
As a child, Sathiyan was passionate about table tennis but did not concentrate on it full-time until after he graduated from university. “There was a point in life when I was in a dilemma. I had to make a decision between education and table tennis. Table tennis has always been my first love. I had an immense passion for it, though I had a liking for science and computers too. When I was doing both at the same time [at university], that was when I realized that I should take up the sport as my profession, as that was the only thing which made me feel complete”, says Sathiyan Gnanasekaran.
After his father passed away from cancer in 2015, he withdrew from a national qualification event on the path to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. He says the loss of his father changed the way he played. “It almost threw me back to square one. I didn’t know how to react, and how to go from there. Everyone was devastated, but that’s when I felt that I played as if I had nothing to lose.
What more did I have to lose after losing my dad? That really changed me as a person. I started playing more aggressive table tennis, taking more risks. I had to start from scratch mentally. I worked with a mental conditioning coach to focus on the sport, and a fitness trainer, and a dietician. I started to be more professional and led a disciplined life. That was the key to making it to the  Olympics.”
|Full Name||Sathiyan Gnanasekaran|
|Sport Category||Table Tennis|
|Date of Birth||January 8, 1993|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Ranking||24 (as of 1st May 2019)|
|Teams Played for||India, Tamil Nadu, Dabang Smashers TTC (Ultimate tennis league-India), Angby club (Sweden), TSGKaiserslautern (Germany) and Zooleszcz Gwiazda Bydgoszcz (Poland).|
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran Achievements And Awards
- In September 2016 Sathiyan went on to win the Belgium Open table tennis title.
- He became the second Indian table tennis player to win an ITTF event.
- He won bronze in ITTF Challenge – Thailand, ITTF Challenge – Belgium, ITTF Major – Swedish in 2017.
- Sathiyan bagged Silver in ITTF Major- Bulgaria in doubles men category in 2017.
Continuing the winning streak in 2017, he won gold in the ITTF Challenge – Spanish Open, in Almeria in the men’s singles category.
- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran was a part of the Indian contingent in Asian Games 2018 which made history by winning a silver medal.
- Gnanasekaran has been felicitated with the TOISA Table Tennis player of the year award 2018 (Jury choice).
- He has also been awarded Arjuna Award in 2018.
Lesser Known Facts About Sathiyan Gnanasekaran
- He scored 90 percent in his 12th class.
- Sathiyan is not only one of the best table tennis players in the country but is also a software engineer.
- Sports marketing firm Baseline Ventures has signed a three-year representation contract with the paddler to look after all his commercial interest.
- GoSports Foundation, through the Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Programme, is currently supporting him.
- Bananas replaced chocolates, ice cream became a luxury and sweets exited from his diet completely after becoming a professional paddler.
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran Social Media
Who is Sathiyan Gnanasekaran?
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran is an engineer turned Indian Table Tennis player currently ranked at 32 in the world as of April 2020.
Did Sathiyan Gnanasekaran participate in the Tokyo Olympics?
Yes, Sathiyan participated in the Tokyo Olympics but unfortunately lose against Lam Siu Hang Of Hong Kong.
Is Gnanasekaran an Arjuna Awardee?
Yes, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran was awarded with Arjuna Award in 2018.
- Yashika Aannand Biography, Wiki, Car Accident, Net worth, Movies, Yashika Aannand Biodata, Accident Video