Who is Hemant Nagrale
- Senior IPS officer Hemant Nagrale, holding additional charge of Maharashtra Director General of Police (DGP), will be the new Mumbai Police Commissioner and replace Singh, who has been posted to the state Home Guard, state Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said.
- Hemant Nagrale is a 1987 batch Maharashtra cadre IPS officer.
- Nagrale completed schooling till class 6 in ZP School at Bhadravati, District Chandrapur. Later he attended schooling at Patwardhan High School in Nagpur.
- Hemant Nagrale is a graduate in BE (Mechanical). He completed Post Graduation from BRCE Nagpur (now VNIT) in Master of Finance Management (JBIMS, Mumbai).
- Nagrale was involved in the operations during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack of November 2008. He was part of the team that had entered Hotel Taj Mahal Palace at Colaba in South Mumbai to shift the injured and the dead out of the facility.
- Nagrale has also been with the Central Bureau of Investigation in the past on central deputation, serving as DIG and superintendent of police.
- During his career, Nagrale has been awarded several medals like the President’s Police Medal, Vishesh Seva Padak, and Antarik Suraksha Padak.
Maharashtra government on Wednesday transferred Mumbai’s Police Commissioner Parambir Singh and appointed Hemant Nagrale (IPS) as the new Commissioner of Mumbai Police.
Brief achievements of Hemant Nagrale
- Hemant Nagrale worked as ASP Rajura in Naxalite affected Chandrapur district during years of his tenure (1989-92).
- In Solapur, as DCP (1992-94), Nagrale was instrumental in the construction of a new Commissionerate at Solapur. He successfully controlled the Babri Masjid communal riots in Solapur city in 1992.
- During his tenure as SP, Ratnagiri District (1994–1996), he handled the land acquisition problem related to Enron/ Dabol Power Corporation with professional dexterity.
- As SP, CID, Crime (1996–1998), Nagrale investigated the MPSC paper leak case, which had spread across many parts of Maharashtra.
- Hemant Nagrale went on deputation to CBI (March1998 – September 2002) and was posted as SP BSFC, CBI, Mumbai and later as DIG, CBI, New Delhi.
- He investigated and completed a number of cases, such as the Ketan Parekh scam, the Madhopura Co-op bank scam (Rs 800 crore) and the Harshad Mehta 2001 (Rs 400 crore) Rs 30 crore bank scam.
- On promotion, Nagrale was posted as Special IGP and Director at MSEDCL (gambling 2008-August 2010). His tenure leads to better enforcement and a 25 per cent increase in company revenue by reducing better electricity enforcement matters.
- Nagrale has witnessed the most horrific terrorist attack in Mumbai on 26 November 2008.
Parambir transferred amid Ambani’s bomb scare case
- The Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) governments move comes in the wake of a series of meetings among the ruling Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress alliance leaders.
- Waze is at the focus of a probe by the National Investigating Agency in a case related to the recovery of an SUV with explosives near Ambani’s house in Mumbai.
- Mumbai police officer Waze, arrested in the case on March 13 for his alleged role in the crime, was attached to the Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU) of city police’s crime branch till recently. He was suspended after NIA arrested him in the case.
- The latest development follows Monday’s talks between Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray and NCP chief Sharad Pawar, amid reports that Waze had stage-managed the bomb scare on the instructions of Singh.
- The NIA team recovered some “incriminating” documents and electronic evidence such as laptop, iPad and mobile phones from Waze’s office, an official of the agency said on Tuesday.
- A black Mercedes car, being used by Waze, was also seized from a parking lot near the CSMT station, and Rs 5 lakh in cash, a note-counting machine, two number plates and some clothes were recovered from it, the official added.
Hemant Nagarle has been honoured with following medals in his career so far
- President’s Police Medal
- Vishesh Seva Padak
- Internal security plant