Who is C. Sylendra Babu?
C. Sylendra Babu born on 5 June 1962 is an Indian Police Service Officer of the 1987 batch belonging to the Tamil Nadu cadre. He is serving as the Director General of Police of Tamil Nadu. He holds a PhD in Criminology from the University of Madras.
C. Sylendra Babu Biography, Wiki
C. Sylendra Babu was born in the town of Kuzhithurai, Kanniyakumari District, Tamil Nadu. Babu is known to follow a strict training regimen and has written a Tamil book on Physical fitness. He has actively participated in and supported various sports activities such as swimming, athletics, shooting, and cycling.
During the course of his police training, he was awarded the RD Singh Cup for Swimming at the National Police Academy, Hyderabad. In December, 2004 he represented India for the 100 metres event in the Asian Masters Athletic Championships, Bangkok. He has also participated in several 10k runs such as the Chennai Marathon and the Coimbatore Marathon. He led a contingent of 26 marine commandos for the Half Marathon event in the 2014 Auroville Marathon.
On 8 February 2013, C. Sylendra Babu organised and participated in an 890 km cycle rally from Chennai to Kanyakumari along with the members of Coastal Security Group and Indian Coast Guard. The rally was over a period of 10 days and aimed at creating awareness about the functioning of Coastal police and the Coast Guard among coastal residents. Being an ardent shooter, he has also participated in various police and civilian shooting competitions.
|Born||5 June 1962 (age 59)|
Kuzhithurai, Kanyakumari District,
Tamil Nadu, India
|Alma mater||National Police Academy|
University of Madras
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai
|Department||Indian Police Service|
|Rank||Director General of Police(DGP)|
|Awards||President’s medal for devotion to duty|
Prime Minister’s medal for life saving
Chief Minister’s medal for gallantry
Chief Minister’s medal for devotion to duty
TN Special Task Force Police Medal for gallantry, bravery and heroic action
President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service
Chief Minister’s medal for excellence in public service
C. Sylendra Babu To Head Tamil Nadu Police Force
The State Government on Tuesday appointed C. Sylendra Babu as Director-General of Police/Head of Police Force, Tamil Nadu. He replaces J.K Tripathy who retires from service on June 30.
A 1987-batch IPS officer, Dr Babu will hold office for a tenure of two years irrespective of his date of superannuation as per the Supreme Court guidelines in the Prakash Singh case.
After the Union Public Service Commission approved a panel comprising three names – Sylendra Babu, Karan Singha and Sanjay Arora – the DMK government chose Dr Babu to head the force.
C. Sylendra Babu Education
C. Sylendra Babu attended the Govt Higher Secondary School, Kuzhithurai, Kanyakumari District. He has BSc (Agri) degree from the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai and majored in agriculture extension from the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. Later, he obtained BGL and MA degrees in Population Studies from the Annamalai University and was awarded a PhD for his thesis on “missing children” by the University of Madras. In 2013, he obtained a Master of Business Administration degree in Human Resources.
Ranks Held By C. Sylendra Babu
|Director-General of Police – DGP||11 March 2019|
|Additional Director-General of Police – ADGP||22 April 2012|
|Inspector-General – IG||2007|
|Deputy Inspector-General – DIG||2001|
|Superintendent of Police – SP||1992|
|Assistant Superintendent of Police – ASP||October 1989|
C. Sylendra Babu, and Sports
C. Sylendra Babu was the manager of the Indian national athletic team in various events. He held this role for the 2002 Asian Athletics Championships – Colombo, Sri Lanka, the 2003 World Championships in Athletics – Paris, France, and the 2007 World Championships in Athletics – Osaka, Japan. He was also appointed an observer of the Indian athletics contingent for the 2008 Summer Olympics, Beijing.
Babu was the president of the Throwball Federation of India, Tamil Nadu, and also the vice-president of the Tamil Nadu Athletic Association. During his tenure as the president of the Coimbatore Rifle Club, from February 2010 to June 2011, he took the initiative to open rifle clubs in various schools across Tamil Nadu. and also president of budo karate academy Chennai police team.
While serving as the ADGP coastal security group, Babu cycled from Chennai to Kanyakumari – which is approximately 700 km. In 2017, as part of the Central government’s Swach Bharat campaign, he went on a 32 days cycling expedition from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.
C. Sylendra Babu Awards and honours
- Special Task Force bravery medal upon death of the forest bandit Veerappan in 2004, for leading operations against him as the Additional Superintendent of Police of Gobichettipalayam in 1989
- President’s Medal for Meritorious Service in 2005
- Blue Cross of India 2007 Award presented by Menaka Gandhi, President of the People for Animals in Chennai, for implementing effective preventive measures against animal cruelty
- The Best Alumnus Award presented by then Governor of Tamil Nadu, Surjit Singh Barnala in the Annual Convocation function held at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore on 25 July 2008, to felicitate 15 years of motivating Civil Service aspirants
- President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service 26 January 2013
- Chief Minister’s Medal for excellence in public service 15 Aug 2019
C. Sylendra Babu Books
- You Too Can Become an I.P.S. Officer (2008)
- Neengalum IPS Adigaari Aagalam (2008)
- Boys & Girls – Be Ambitious (2009)
- Principles of Success in Interview (2009)
- A Guide to Health & Happiness (2012)
- Sathikka Asaippadu (2014)
- Udalinai Urithi Sei (2015)
- Avarkalal Mudiyum Endral Nammalum Mudiyum (2016)
- Americavil 24 Naatkal
- Ungalukana 24 por vidhigal (2017)
- Unakkul oru Thalaivan (2017)
- Sinthiththa Velaiyil (2018)