Who is Amit Panghal?
Amit Panghal, born 16 October 1995, is an Indian amateur boxer. He won a silver medal at the 2019 AIBA World Boxing Championships in the Flyweight division. Panghal won a gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games.
Amit Panghal’s Journey Ends At Tokyo Olympics
Indian boxer Amit Panghal (52kg) bowed out of the Olympics with a stunning 1-4 loss to Rio Games silver-medallist Yuberjen Martinez, beaten by the Colombian’s relentless attacks and pace in the pre-quarterfinals, on Saturday.
The top-seeded Indian, who was making his debut in the Games, had got an opening-round bye. Panghal was put under pressure by the sprightly Colombian in the opening round itself but the Indian ensured that he connected better to claim the first three minutes 4-1. But Martinez’s pace should have set alarm bells ringing in the Indian corner.
Amit Panghal Biography, Wiki
Amit Panghal was born on 16 October 1995 in Mayna village of Rohtak district, Haryana. His father, Vijender Singh Panghal, is a farmer in Mayna, while his elder brother, Ajay Panghal, works in the Indian Army. Ajay, a former amateur boxer, inspired Amit to take up boxing in 2007 at Sir Chhoturam Boxing Academy.
As of March 2018, Panghal is serving the Indian Army as a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO). He is serving in 22nd Battalion The Mahar Regiment.
|2019 AIBA World Boxing Championship||Silver|
|2018 Asian Games||Gold|
|2018 Commonwealth Games||Silver|
|2019 Asian Championships||Gold|
Amit Panghal Boxing Career
The boxer made an international debut versus Sri Lanka in India, held in 2012. He won the gold medal in his debut match at the National Boxing championship in 2017.
The same year he also won the bronze medal in the light flyweight category of the 2017 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships held in Tashkent. He was also qualified for AIBA World Boxing Championships.
At the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia, Amit Pangal won a Silver medal in the light flyweight category. He was pitted against the eventual Gold medalist British Boxer Galal Yafai. 4 months later, Amit Pangal had won his 2nd International Gold Medal at the 2018 Asian Games by avenging his quarter-final defeat to Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan at the 2017 AIBA World Boxing Championships.
Due to his success at the 2018 Asian Games, Pangal was bestowed with the Arjuna Award by the Government of India on the recommendation by the Boxing Federation of India.
In 2019, Pangal won his 4th international Gold medal at Asian Boxing Championship by defeating South Korean pugilist Kim-in-Kyu. In September 2019, Amit Pangal became the 1st Indian pugilist to clinch the Silver medal at AIBA World Boxing Championships after being defeated by Uzbekistan’s Shakhobhidin Zoirov in the 52 kg category final.
Amit Pangal qualified for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics in March 2020 after he had defeated Carlo Palaam of the Philippines in the quarterfinal of the 52 kg category. After he was qualified for his debut Olympic Games, Amit Pangal won his 5th international Gold medal at the 2020 Boxing World Cup in Cologne, Germany in December. Amit has a total of 5 International Gold medals under his belt.
Amit Panghal Achievements
- Gold Medal at Asian Games 2018, Jakarta, Light flyweight
- Silver Medal at Asian Championships 2018, Gold Coast, Light flyweight
- Bronze Medal at Asian Championships 2017, Tashkent, Light flyweight
- He has been awarded the Best Boxer Award 2011 at 37th Junior Men Haryana State Boxing Championship.
- He has been Best Boxer Award 2012 at 38th Junior Men Haryana State Boxing Championship.
- He is the part of TOPS (Target Olympic Podium Scheme) started by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Lesser Known Facts About Amit Panghal
- Amit Panghal enjoys riding and travelling whenever he is free
- Panghal has been featured on the cover of Grazia Magazine.
- In 2018, Chandigarh University invited him to inaugurate the 2nd Junior Boxing Championship at their campus.
- Amit Panghal is a devotee of Lord Hanuman.
- Amit Panghal desires to open a “Panghal Foundation” for budding boxers.
- He is a part of the TOPS (Target Olympic Podium Scheme) started by the ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Amit Panghal Social Media
Who is Amit Panghal?
Amit Panghal is an amateur Indian Boxer.
What is Amit Panghal famous for?
Amit Panghal is famous for being the first Indian man to win a silver medal in the World Boxing Championships in 2019.
- Atanu Das Biodata, Biography, Wiki, Olympics, Age, Wife, Parents, Medals | Who is Atanu Das? Bio, Wiki